Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Dawson hit with candidate deluge

In the Australian federal Election due on October 8th, I have the choice of 9 candidates. Realistically, our electorate has been held by the National Party since at least 1975.

This year, we have a plethora of new minor parties as well as some of the far right parties that this electorate is renown for. While Gympie may get the media coverage as being the home of the far right in Australia, the electorate of Dawson continually has the highest support of right wing candidates at federal elections.

The choice we have (in ballot form order) is:

1) Independent (Katter/sugar independent)
2) Family First Party
3) Nationals
4) New Country
5) One Nation
6) Aust Labor Party
7) Aust Democrats
8) Greens
9) Citizens Electoral Council

Who do you choose? Over the next 9 posts, I will run through the candidates and their policies (or lack thereof) and see what my research comes up with. I honestly haven't made up my mind who to vote for, so this is an exercise for myself as well as a reason to blog further.

I will declare that I was a member of the Australian Democrats for almost 20 years, and actually ran for federal and state parliament, but resigned in disgust last year and no longer have any loyalty to that party.

My summaries of the candidates and policies will be as impartial as I possibly can. If you disagree or want to correct something, by all means go for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home